It’s time to scan your body. That’s right. It’s the body that seems to contain your Eternal and Divine Spirit. Just how light, happy, and full of love can you be if your body is tight with anxiety, like a twisted knot? It is important to take every part of our being into account on this joyous ride of Love. We don’t leave behind any aspect of ourselves, including our physical presence.
LOVING AND NURTURING YOUR BODY
This is the focus of Lesson Two — getting to know when and how your body reacts to stress. Tense muscles. Tight jaw line. Scrunched shoulders. The back held in a noose. Do you recognize these stress symptoms? Some bodies choose to display stress in one or two or all of these ways at once. Then most of us walk around all day long, unconscious and never noticing. But, once you know, you can start eliminating the body’s reaction to stress and negativity. You can have a new dialogue with your body, while being compassionate and kind all the while.
You can talk soothingly to your body, reassuring it and sending it love. “Go ahead, shoulders, take a little break. Soften up,” you might say. Or “There you go, you tense back, how about a little rest right now. Stretch out. Doesn’t that feel good?” It’s YOUR body, after all. You can have a friendly chat with it. You might not want to do it out loud if you are in a public place, but then people will maybe just think you are talking on your cell phone. Or that you are little odd. No matter!
I used to work in a place that was vibrating with tension. Executive decisions were made, then rescinded all the time. It was the land of the ten minute decision — in ten minutes there would be another, conflicting decision. The stress was palpable and everyone worked in close contact, seated in the same area. The only retreat was a bathroom stall. I would go in there and stand for a minute or two and imagine a flow of soothing warm water pouring over my body, washing away tension. I imagined the stress dripping off of my fingers and pooling at my feet, then flowing away. It worked. That was then. Now I don’t need to go anywhere; I can do the scan and the imagery where ever I might be. You can too, once you are used to the idea.
Remember your body reacts to what you think and say to it. It knows when you are sending it nurturing and love. You can love ALL parts of your being at once. Try some of these ideas:
- Honestly scan your body and be aware of tightness and stress. give conscious permission to let it.
- Repeat this scan often throughout the day and even at night in bed, if you are awake enough to notice.
- You will see that your body reacts to these changes. Each time it will be easier to calm the body.
- Think of any parts of your body that have been problematic or are sensitive to negative thoughts. Actively send kindness and love to these places in particular.
- Imagine Love and Light massaging and filling those parts of your body. Perhaps inhaling Love and Light and then exhaling away judgement, pain, and anything negative lodged in those spots.
- Take a class in deep rest and meditation. I teach Yoga Nidra (sleeping meditation) and it works so well at de-flating stress.
- See your body, from which you will surely part one day, as another expression of Divine Consciousness, of God. Treat it with tenderness and respect.
- Say these words over and over until they ring in your mind — I LOVE MY BODY AND MYSELF COMPLETELY NOW.
I am honored to join you in learning to love yourself more. It is the true purpose in living, though that thought may, for now, seem unlikely. but, over time, and with following The 52, you will see the incredible power in understanding this thinking. I am here to help if you need me. Just ask.
With love and namaste, Deanne
More at www.deannemincer.com and share this blog with your friends who want to be lighter and happier and more full of Love.
(c) A Lighter, Happier YOU in 52 (weeks) by Deanne Mincer, 2013