Don’t we often think that WE would be different if something around us would be different? Oh, if only I lived in Paris (or New York or India or Montana — fill in the blank). Or, if only I had a more understanding spouse, partner, mother, child (fill in again). Or, if only I had the time to study meditation or get my M.B.A. or take a vacation. You get the picture! If only . . . The grass is always greener, isn’t it?
Or what about this? I am my most authentic, honest self only under certain circumstances. It emerges when I am with like-minded people. But are you the same one with your co-workers, your “superiors,” your in-laws, your children, your parents, with all your friends?
LESSON THIRTY ONE
ARE YOU YOU, WHEREVER YOU GO ?
Many years ago, I was teaching a yoga class at a health club. This how it was when yoga was not on every corner. There were step classes next door and people gazing through the glass to see what this weird thing, yoga, was. One of my students, who I now realize was actually, (how can I put it?) really realized, as in enlightened, arrived at class early. I casually said to her, knowing that she had spent a lot of time in an ashram in India with a very famous guru, “Oh, it must have been so much easier to have peace and quiet and practice yoga in such a place.” I remember that she laughed a kind but hearty (filled with heart) laugh and told me that it is the same everywhere. I did not have a clue what she was talking about. How could that be? How could it be the same, in an ashram filled with silence, incense, meditating people as in a noisy, sweaty, muscle flexing health club?
But now I know it is true!
Some time ago, I returned from a weekend program at The Omega Institute in the rolling hills of Rhinebeck, New York. In the United States, it is considered a venerable place for learning, a kind of spiritual summer camp. The place overflows with synchronicity, with energies of past and present teachers of Divine Love, with cross-overs on all spiritual paths. Hundreds of us were there to bask in the place and learn something new.
It was intriguing to hear one person after another say how happy they were to be with others who were open to whatever they were seeking. Over and over I heard the comment: “When I am at home, I almost never talk to others about this” — or that (whatever their focus on the path of growing) “They just wouldn’t understand.” Such is the pity. So they were different at home. But at Omega, it was a safe environment. They could simply BE.
Yet even there, just like the most sacred locations in any part of the world, emerged the ego identities we hoped had we left behind. There were those who complained, who brought their “baggage” with them, who found fault — they struggled to BE something new or different, but it was not so easy. I don’t say this in judgement but as a witness. I know to the depth of my being, that EVERYONE is the Divine Light of Truth and Love, steeped in compassion, gratitude, and forgiveness. That is the core that we can rely on, no matter where we are.
I don’t pretend that remembering this all the time is easy. It takes a measure of trust and courage to be congruent at all times. I try my best but do not always succeed. I do see improvement however…
This helps me. I hope it will help you:
- Is it possible for you to witness yourself, as if you could stand aside and watch your own behavior in an impartial yet kind and loving way? This can lead to a better awareness of who you are being at different times.
- When you know in advance that you may be in situations that will challenge your sense of Self, can you take a few moments to settle into your core — taking a few breaths or meditating for a while or saying an affirmation like I love myself completely NOW?
- Do you sometimes hear yourself say or do something that you know for sure is inauthentic? Can you simply mentally put a check next to it to revisit the moment later, to see how and why you took that action?
- Are you able to stay “light” regarding your behavior? In other words, not replaying over and over again those times when you felt out of sync.
- Finally, and only if this is not too astonishing to consider, can you believe that all unfolds with Divine Consciousness and that you are not the “doer?” Is it possible for you to venture the thought that the world is actually a “play” or maya?
These lessons are meant to help us find ways to feel lighter and happier in the world. When you operate from your own truth, you will feel better. Your life will be more smooth and easy.
Imagine being able to say and be who you are wherever you go! It may take a little time to get there, but it is worth it!
With love and namaste, Deanne
For more, go to http://www.deannemincer.com